Being a Boomer means facing many milestone moments that will demand life changing decisions on your part. A few of those milestones, if you haven’t already addressed them, will soon require you to make choices that will absolutely impact the rest of your life.
Some of the obvious decisions to be considered will include answers to questions like:
- What do I need to know about Medicare?
- What is the right age for me to sign up for Social Security Benefits?
- Do we need to downsize our home?
- Should we be living closer to the kids?
- How is our savings plan looking?
- What the heck is a Reverse Mortgage?
These, of course, are only a few of the factors that you will need to consider at some time in the future. We can talk about some of those in greater detail in future discussions. Right now, let’s talk about the R-word.
HOW DO YOU SPELL RELIEF: R-E-T-I-R-E-M-E-N-T? MAYBE NOT!
There is, however, another factor to consider. It generally pops up somewhere about the time that Medicare kicks in. The time will come, if it hasn’t already, when the subject of retirement becomes the subject of daily conversations.
If you are anything like many of our Boomer Buds, retirement was what you planned for at the magic age of 65 ( or sooner, if possible). My semi-public dream was always to quit my job and travel. We’d simply buy a tricked out Winnebago and hit the road, destined for overnight parking in Wal*Mart parking lots across the country.
In my dream scenario, we’d see the sites, stop wherever and whenever, while I wrote more Mushroom Tales children’s books for Connie to illustrate. Well, since I’ve already told you, in previous posts, about my excellent Career Boost when I hit 64 ½, let’s just save the Winnebago for another season.
So, getting back to your perfect plan, can we take a moment for a serious reality check? I think it’s fair to generalize that when it comes to real retirement aged decisions, your future is very likely to be a bit different than your early life dream scenario.
The decision of whether to retire or to continue working may be a tough one. It’s entirely possible that we can count you among the many millions of Boomers who either don’t want to or aren’t able to consider retirement. If you’re still riding the proverbial fence and you haven’t completely decided whether to pull the retirement trigger, let’s run through some of the key points about the R-word that you already know.
SECURITY IN NUMBERS
This may not come as a surprise to many, but as our life expectancy continues to rise, retirement can last a very long time. I know, not exactly a news flash.
As we live longer and healthier lives and for economic reasons, best served for another discussion, it is becoming ever more practical and popular for individuals to consider delaying retirement. If I’m preaching to the choir, Boomer, then “Welcome to the majority,Amigo!” You’re in excellent company.
The simple fact is, that through healthier living and medical advancements, your own individual mid-life crisis may have already come and gone. In reality, the statistical halfway point in your own life’s journey may have quietly krept northward.
It is estimated that there are more than 50 Million Boomers on the payroll, with no plans to pass on the paycheck. With that revelation to consider, a few additional questions may come to mind:
- What are you planning to do with the second half?
- What do you do, for example, when you are constantly told how lucky you are to be nearing retirement and you know full well that retirement is not on your current “THINGS TO DO” list?
- What if you’re simply not ready for the rocker?
- What can you do if you enjoy working and look forward to future challenging job assignments?
- I’m workin just as much, but enjoying it less. How can I find a better job at my age?
- How do I find a job that pays for my potential and appreciates my life’s experiences?
While many of us would love to be able to retire at an early age, live near a tropical beach, let’s get real. It is worth repeating, that the the vast majority in the Baby Boomers demographic have no work related escape plan or retirement schedule on the forefront. Many are prepared, neither financially nor emotionally for retirement. Simply put, for many it isn’t an option and for others, it simply isn’t an interest.
Regardless of which camp you find yourself in, hard pressed or hopeful, your challenge is similar to many a Boomer contemplating another ride on the job search treadmill. You may personally find it interesting or even necessary to find a better, more satisfying job.
Many have actually test driven the Retirement Routine and found that they really missed the work-a-day routine (…and let’s be honest, THE PAY CHECK.) Many of our friends in that camp have plans to jump back into the game and to keep building their own bank. That’s exactly where this series is heading. Stay tuned..
If you are in the market for a new job and happen to be in your 60’s and beyond or even in your 50’s and below, don’t change that channel. When you consider your life’s skills and time tested experience, there is a market for your MOJO and lots of time left on the clock.
NEWS AT ELEVEN
If the subject of getting a CAREER BOOST is appealing to you, let’s continue this conversation. I’m looking forward to share my own experiences from 40 years in Business Management, where I reviewed thousands of resumes and found most of them lacking.
I have participated in and studied the job search process from inside and out and on both sides of the Interviewers Desk for decades and continue to coach individuals who need a boost, but don’t have the tools or experience to market themselves effectively.
I am at your service and excited to be able to help you to:
- Review and remember your many life’s skills, many temporarily forgotten.
- Articulate your experience, talents and interests in a form that is discoverable by Search Engines.
- Go beyone the reach of a Search Engine to identify your perfect match to a Dream Company and a Dream job that appreciates your Boomer Work Ethic and PAYS BASED ON YOUR POTENTIAL.
- BOOM THAT!
We’ll be able to share experiences and share QUESTIONS & ACTION PLANS within our FaceBook Community as we share experiences, challenges and successes. I will personally continue the conversation in future blog posts and in our own Boomer’s Guide and Career Boost Podcast. I’ve included links below for your information.
Your dream job is real and your future Boss would love to meet you. Let’s do everyone a favor (well, not your competition) and make that introduction possible. BOOM!
If you’d like to chat, stop by below, as we build a community of Boomers Boosting Boomers. Join us as we grow into a global connection for sharing QUESTIONS & ACTIONS!
COME ON BACK AND LET’S CONTINUE TO BOOST YOUR BAD SELF!
- To connect to share QUESTIONS & ACTION IDEAS with other interested Career Boosters, join us on FaceBook:
- THE BOOMER BLOG FaceBook Page: https://boomercareerguide.com/TheBoomerBlog/FBpage
THE ONE MINUTE MASTERMIND FaceBook Group: https://boomercareerguide.com/TheOneMinuteMastermindGroup/FB
- COMING SOON TO iTUNES & OTHER PODCATCHERS IN CYBER-SPACE:
- THE BOOMER’S GUIDE & CAREER BOOST PODCAST
- COMING SOON TO iTUNES & OTHER PODCATCHERS IN CYBER-SPACE:
- JOIN MY PRIVATE BETA READS GROUP:
- Our book is in process and will be improved by your input through comments on the Blog and FaceBook Community. When “The Boomer’s Guide to a Career Boost after 60” is almost complete, I’d love to add you to our Beta Reader Crew. Just before I hit the Publish Button, I’ll send interested Boomers a free Pdf Copy of the book, for your information, comments and sugggestions.
- THE ONLINE COURSE is also in the works.
- While you and I connect on the Blog and on FaceBook, I’m also creating a companion course that will be available soon on www.Udemy.com. I will be able to offer free access to the course through occasional Udemy promotions. Let me know via our email list or on FaceBook and I’ll add you to the promotional list.
- LOTS OF WORK TO DO.
- With your participation we’ll be able to really Pay It Forward and help thousands of our Boomer Buds.